Individuals who suffer from social anxiety disorder have a fear of being in social situations where they will be judged, embarrassed, abandoned, or rejected. Interacting with other people is terrifying to the victim so much so that they choose to separate themselves from society, often choosing to stay home.
Individuals who suffer from extreme anxiety in social situations should be evaluated for social anxiety. Symptoms of social anxiety can be so extreme that they disrupt the victim’s life. Individuals who suffer from social anxiety will miss out on quality time with family members and friends and coworkers.
Evaluation for a social anxiety disorder often begins with an evaluation from the doctor. Some physical conditions such as overactive thyroid or low blood sugar will be tested as well as they can imitate or worsen social anxiety disorders.
Individuals who suffer from Social Anxiety have difficulty with the following situations:
- Being introduced to new people
- Being in a situation where they are the center of attention (birthday parties, etc.)
- Meeting authoritative figures
- Most social encounters, especially with strangers
- Interpersonal relationships, whether friendships or romantic