Schizophrenia is a challenging disorder that makes it impossible to distinguish between what is real, manage emotions, and relate to others. While this may seem terrifying and impossible to manage, there is hope for those who suffer from schizophrenia.
Individuals can show signs of schizophrenia from an early age while other signs can appear suddenly and without warning. More commonly, subtle warning signs will begin to appear slowly alerting those close to the individual that something might seem “off” about their loved one. Those who begin to suffer from schizophrenia may begin to isolate themselves, neglect their appearance and hobbies, and their performance and work or school may deteriorate.
Schizophrenics often suffer from delusions that involve illogical or bizarre ideas. Schizophrenics often believe that they are in danger of being harmed by a person or persons or a natural event.
Advantage Mental Health Center’s treatment options for schizophrenics are very often successful. With medication, therapy, and a strong support network, many individuals who suffer from schizophrenia are able to control their symptoms, gain independence, and lead a fulfilling life.
Signs of Schizophrenia include:
- Thought disorders (unusual or dysfunctional ways of thinking)
- Movement disorders (agitated body movements)
- “Flat affect” (reduced expression of emotions via facial expression or voice tone)
- Reduced feelings of pleasure in everyday life
- Difficulty beginning and sustaining activities
- Poor “executive functioning” (the ability to understand information and use it to make decisions)
- Trouble focusing or paying attention
- Problems with “working memory” (the ability to use information immediately after learning it)
If you or someone you know suffers from any of these symptoms, get help today. Call 727-600-8093 to schedule an appointment